How to prevent your house from Electrical Fires

How to prevent your house from Electrical Fires

Electrical fires are caused mainly by either faulty house wiring or appliance failure.

However, many do occur due to mistakes that homeowners make like overloading electrical outlets or extension cords.

In order to prevent injury to yourself or to a loved one.

Here are the 5 most common causes of electrical fires:

  1. Most electrical fires are caused by faulty electrical outlets along with old, outdated appliances. Other fires are started by faults in appliance cords, power points and switches. Never use an appliance with a worn or frayed cord! Running cords under rugs or mats is another cause of electrical fires. Removing the earth prong from a cord so it can be used in a 2 prong outlet can also cause a fire. Each appliance is rated at a specific amperage and earth are needed.

  2. Light fittings, lamps and light bulbs are a cause of electrical fires. Always check the maximum wattage of the fitting when replacing a bulb. Never place any materials directly on top or over a lampshade. The material heats up and can ignite, causing a fire.

  3. Misuse of extension leads can also lead to an electrical fire. Never leave an appliance plugged into an extension lead for a long period of time. Always try and plug your appliance directly into sockets. If need be hire an electrician to install more sockets.

  4. Space heaters are the most often cause of electrical fires. This is due to them being placed too close to combustible items such as curtains, beds, chairs etc. Always keep plenty of distance from your heater to any items.

  5. Outdated wiring is also a cause of electrical fires. A house wired over 20 years ago might not be compatible with all the new electrical items such as large televisions, computers, cooktops and air conditioning that is quite commonly found throughout houses now days.

For your best protection please make sure your house is fitted with hardwired smoke detects that are tested regularly.

Also ensure your house is not only fitted with circuit breakers for overload but also RCD safety switches for your protection!

Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *